Community Outreach Worker (Female Only)
Contract: 22.5 hours per week with a possibility of increasing hours (1 year fixed term contract)
NJC Scale: £25,350 (pro rata) | Actual: £17,128
Responsible to: Service Development Manager
Location: Merseyside & Cheshire
Primary Purpose of Position:
The post holder will work as part of Savera UK’s team and will be required to work across the Merseyside and Cheshire areas. The Community Outreach Worker is to work with Black and Minority Ethnic (BME) communities to raise awareness about harmful practices and domestic abuse as well as working in partnership with agencies (both statutory and voluntary) to liaise and facilitate community sessions and engagement related to harmful practices, domestic abuse and the impact it can cause on individuals and families. The post holder will also have responsibilities to support the team in recruiting volunteers and promoting the work Savera UK across communities, agencies and professionals. Culture and tradition hugely influence the lives of BME communities and the post holder will require demonstrating their understanding of cultural sensitivity at the same time being able to challenge attitudes around culture and traditions that are recognised as harmful practices.
- To acquire a knowledge base of local and national services.
- Liaise with appropriate services and communities to promote the work of Savera UK and develop partnerships.
- Support BME communities and groups to address harmful practices and the impact of such practices.
- To identify and build a partnership with BME communities to develop and deliver projects and engagement for their community and groups.
- Exploring how new approaches can be used in holistic and culturally sensitive ways.
- Signposting people to information, resources and sources.
- Facilitate and take part in local activities and events to promote awareness amongst BME communities.
- Facilitate a local service to include signposting, education and advice to individuals and families from local BME communities.
- To maintain confidentiality at all times.
- To upkeep the service record system and collect data for evaluation as required.
- Support the Service Development Manager in recruitment and coordination of volunteers
- To identify stakeholders, organising groups and working with volunteers.
- Give advice and support where appropriate to partner organisations on BME harmful practices, domestic abuse and cultural understanding.
- Providing training/learning opportunities to agencies, professionals and the community on the role of Savera UK.
- To maintain and advance the public profile of Savera UK locally and nationally.
- To receive regular supervision.
- To be aware of own limits and to seek supervision and advice accordingly.
- To be flexible - occasional evening, weekends as determined.
- Work across Merseyside and Cheshire and other areas as and when required.
- To ensure effective communications within and between teams, be involved in and participate in meetings, team briefings, development day.
- To maintain relevant records and provide reports and information.
- Ensure effective collection of data, including the use of computer based systems.
- To work at all times to promote equality, diversity and individual rights.
- To undertake any training as identified and approved by the Service Development Manager.
- To carry out any other duties as required by the Service Development Manager and the Board of Directors.
Health & Safety:
Good understanding of relevant policies in relation to Health & Safety at work and other relevant policies for the organisation including insurance policies.
The details contained in this job description reflect the content of this job at the date of being prepared. It is however possible that over time the nature of the job will change. Consequently, the Savera UK Board/Trustee will expect to revise this job description from time to time and will consult with the post holder at the appropriate time.
If you would like to apply for this post, please download the application form, person specification and equal opportunities form below and email the completed forms to Mrs Shauna Lacy on firstname.lastname@example.org or Telephone: 0151 709-6588 for more information.
Please note that we do not accept CV applications.
Closing date: Friday 19th April 2019, 12pm and interviews will take place the following week.
We encourage all sections of our community, and in particular BME groups who are under-represented in the workforce to apply Please note that a Disclosure & Barring Service check (DBS) will be required for this post. Savera UK is an Equal Opportunities employer.